Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Safe Surfing For The KIDDIES

Being a parent I worry allot about the content my child sees online, and although being a technological savy parent I have the appropriate tools in place to make sure pop-up ads of Swedish lesbians twins doesn't come up when he types in spongebob, I still could use any help I can get. Well to aid me in my quest is a great website called Zoo.com. Zoo.com is a child-friendly search engine that filters out sexually explicit material.

The site is designed for kids ages 8-13 and pulls search results from the likes of Google and Wikipedia, and news from ABC, Fox, and Yahoo. but has no image-search capability, so it weeds out "adult" words while retaining suitable results.

For example: (A child using the search term "breast cancer" will get plenty of information, but the word "breast" delivers no results.)

Check it out here

+dwebb

No comments: